A Canadian writer teaches English and finds out what it's like to be a foreigner.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

An introduction

Ever wonder what would happen if you took a rural Nova Scotian boy with a flair for the vernacular, put him under glass in South Korea and watched the culture shock play out like a moth shaking hands with a Mack truck?

No?

Well keep reading, and I promise you won’t get bored.

By way of introduction, my name is Sam. I graduated last year from the University of King’s College (in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada) with a degree in journalism and contemporary studies. I putzed around in Halifax for a year. I wrote some magazine articles, I wrote a radio play. Now I’m hopping on a plane and flying roughly 100x the distance from my hometown to my alma matter, to teach English to elementary kids in Siheung City, South Korea.

It’s a bit of a departure, but not one that’s never been done before, nor one that won’t be done again by a huge chunk of my generation. What I offer to you here is the observations of a young journalist’s first time in a strange land— an informal foreign correspondence, but also a candid way to acquire your eyeballs to read and share in the “Holy crap, did you just see what I saw?” moments that I’m sure to experience tripping through the Korean streets. I’ll try to be as timely, visual, and fun as possible.

Enjoy the ant-farm of me. I fly on Friday.

2 comments:

Sean_atron said...

I just owned the first post on your blog Sam! Har har. Sounds like a great experience so far; the food seems especially interesting. Keep the news coming!

Steak Cookman said...

I think you should rename this beginning portion here

- An Introduction to Seduction