A Canadian writer teaches English and finds out what it's like to be a foreigner.

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Howdy Pillgrim...

So I've been sick for most of this last week, with an awesome combo of ear, nose and throat issues. It marked my first trip to a Korean clinic, which wasn't altogether unusual, except for the medication they give you.

I had been told by Shane to expect a myriad of packaged pills to be prescribed, for only the equivalent of 3 or 4 bucks. He wasn't kidding. For my ear infection they gave me what I can best describe as a brace of pills. 5 little multi-coloured tablets in a clear, square package, which was attached to an identical package and continued on in a long string for two weeks worth. I could have strung the pills across both shoulders and looked like some bandito from a spaghetti western. The only reason I didn't stroll into the school, all done up like Pancho Villa, is that I was worried what Joey might have done at the sight of all those delicious packages.

More to come, when I'm feeling like a human being again.

2 comments:

Shane said...

Koreans only have five different medications. Whatever the ailment they simply give you them all together and hope that one, or a combination, will remedy the problem.
It's like medicinal gambling.
Now that I think about it, with the hundreds of varieties of healthful kimchis available, I'm surprised you're not just prescribed a sidedish. :)

Dixie said...

To be or not to be. Is that the question "Pillgram?"