A Canadian writer teaches English and finds out what it's like to be a foreigner.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Love in the time of chola man

There are some days when I feel like the mute shepherd of a flock of three-legged sheep, and I'm charged with not only teaching them to speak, but to dance at the same time. Even if I can get one to shut up for long enough to look at me, I can't speak the words they need to understand (read: baaaaaa, baaaaaa), so I'm forced to gesture wildly in the direction of what passes for a lesson.

Then there are days when a student shows up at my desk with something this:


I saw her stay after class to finish it while the other kids were leaving. I was touched.

No doung in sight...

Ed. "Chola man" is the Korean name for "stick-man."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sam, i <3 love you too!

awwww!!!

Shane said...

That's sweet. Not a stink line in sight. Time to break out the gold stickers.