A Canadian writer teaches English and finds out what it's like to be a foreigner.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The perfect drink

Most of my affairs with Korean-style Western products (read: bread, pizza, cake, sandwiches...) has as best left me wanting, and at worst left me with nightmares.

The one thing that I've found that I enjoyed back home, but have discovered that the Koreans do 1000x better is grape juice:


I was initially hooked on my first subway expedition. They have a red grape juice that seems to only be available in subway vending machines. Anyway, it is so cold and refreshing and as an added bonus it comes with the peeled, crushed grapes still inside the can. It might not be everyone's cup of tea having little grape wads sluicing through the "drink hole" (for lack of a finer term... or maybe in spite of one...) and into their mouths, but I was always a fan of bubble tea, so welcome particles in my beverages has never been an issue.

Anyway, the green grape stuff pictured above is available at most convenience stores, and I've come to enjoy it even more than my initial addiction. The cans are a bit squat, but for 700 won you can't go wrong. I can't really describe what makes it so much better than Western grape juice. You can tell there is no added sugar, and it doesn't have that thick, syrupy way of Welch's, which tends to leave your mouth feeling like fingertips in a prolonged bath.

It's just so light and refreshing, that I'm sure it will be one of the things I'll lament leaving behind in September, unless I end up moving to Toronto's Bloor Street West...

7 comments:

Pam said...

Why not become the Western agent for this wonderful drink, making it available through convenience stores, and make a fortune !!

Shane said...

I agree that this drink takes other grape drinks and dropkicks them into a burning stack of garbage. It is a nectar of the Gods.

Also, a store opened recently in my neighborhood that lets that precious can go for only 530 won. Life, it is good.

Gillian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gillian said...

OMG I would have FREAKED the first time I realized there was something other than just liquid in my grape juice. I probably would have spat it all out, and it would be too tramatic for me to eat/drink again. You're brave. I'm a wussy.

Sam said...

I was prepared, don't worry. I expected the grape lumps. I would have been weirded out by maverick particles too, but I read about the juice in my guide book and sought it out.

Remember those Orbitz drinks from the 90s?

That's a different story.

Gillian said...

I don't think I've ever had an Orbitz. I remember them though. Now we just have bubble tea!

Shane Patenaude said...

Korean love chunks in their drinks. I've had drinks with grapes, rice, gelatin bits, and crushed fruit.

Only once did I spit that stuff out in alarm, and that's only because it waited in hiding at the bottom, startling me during one final mouthful.