A Canadian writer teaches English and finds out what it's like to be a foreigner.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

"Teacher..." -A Day in Quotes-

"Teacher, if you tell I am here I will throw you the arse-shake medicine, and your arse will shake and your house will fill with many dungs."
- Whispered by Paul, before he started sneaking up on his father.

"Teacher! So-so Man is die! He have stomachache and is very much beer and crash the car, and the car is a model T!"
- Joey, telling me in detail about the death of his made-up superhero "So-so Man." Nothing was said about So-so man's nemesis, "Hammersoup."

"Teacher's hair style was yellow broccoli!"
- Sang-won on the history of my hair. When I told them it was "curly" and not "perm-u" they took curly to be like "broccoli."

"Teacher! I like shark dung!"
- Random uttering from a portly student in a turquoise sweatshirt with a picture of Charlie Brown on it, and the words: "When do the good things start?"

"Teacher! Tomorrow is White Day and you will say your friend: 'Hey! Please kiss me! I love you! Marry me!' and she say 'No, buddy! Go away and drink another your mother's breast water!"
- Paul being Paul.

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

How old are these kids? And do they call you anything other than teacher?

Shane said...

I nearly lost it when I read 'Hammersoup'. God, that's good stuff. Now I have an urge to know more about So-so Man and his adventures.

Sam said...

Stephanie,

The ones in question are between 8 and 10, and generally no... I get: Teacher, Sam-Teacher, and occasionally they will proudly stumble through my full name: Samuel David Birdsall Worthington.

It's mostly the nature of the Korean language and the way people very often don't refer to each other by name but with many honorifics like "older brother" (opa) "middle-aged woman" (ajumma) and yes, "teacher" (seongsaengnim).

Gillian said...

LOL! OH MAN all of those things are HILARIOUS! How do you STAND it?

Jake is French said...

God, it would be so hard to maintain my composure...

Irrelephant said...

I'm with Shane..."Hammersoup." My god that's right up there with "LopLop The Bird Superior." And "So-So Man." Is it implied that he's just mediocre, or is there something in Korean that we're missing here?

We're dying to know!

Sam said...

Jake- I don't.

Mr. Irrelephant- So-so man does have a vast array of impotent powers, such as a hail of "nose dust" instead of Superman's ice breath. He also seems to have been done in by a fondness for drink and vintage automobiles...

Btw- "Loplop" got his anyway. You don't mess with the Piper...