A Canadian writer teaches English and finds out what it's like to be a foreigner.

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Thanks John Williams...

So I have one student who is about 7 or 8, and at the most basic level of English possible. He barely knows his ABCs which frankly should the most basic prerequisite for getting into a hagwon.

Anyway, he's a bit of a challenge to keep occupied since most everything is over his head.

I've discovered the key however, to making him at least like me and not think I'm this pale ogre trying to beat him over the head with a club of knowledge twice a week.

Movie themes.

He knows 'em, he loves 'em.

I saw him doodling a shark on the corner of his worksheet.

"Jaws?" I asked, testing the waters.

His eyes lit up.

"Hahaha. JAWS!"

One afternoon I could tell he was spacing. There is only one other student in the class, so I have some liberty with diversions. I started to draw the iconic shark mouth on the white board.

"Da-na," I started.

"Da-na."

Again for good measure.

"Da-na, na-na, na-na, na-na, ahhhhh!" he happily chimed in, ending in a swimmer's untimely demise.

Granted, the subject matter is no more interesting now, but at least I've won him over to the fact that I'm not completely lame.

He knows "My Heart Will Go On" too.

I let that one alone.

No comments: