A Canadian writer teaches English and finds out what it's like to be a foreigner.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Gassed!

This evening as Paul and I were leaving the school to get our dinner, we got gassed. Us and a pack of high school students who ducked inside the glass door entry way of our building to avoid the fumes. It was coming from a passing truck. You'll find out why that's funny at the end.

The truck was driving through the city streets, blasting out some kind of mass insect repellent. It would have been funny because the way the gas was shooting from the contraption on the back made it look like the truck was being propelled by a bunch of fire extinguishers. It turned out being not funny because we got it right in the face.

The smell was like a nasty chemical bouquet of OFF! and the vapor from boiled Dettol (I would imagine.)

We took shelter behind glass until the truck had gone.

"What was that?" I asked Paul.

"Teacher!" he said delighted, "It is a farting situation! Don't you know? That was a fart truck!"

"Oh."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You wish it was a fart truck! How archaic and dangerous to spray such a substance so openly through city streets! It reminds me when I arrived on a Caribbean island, about 25 years ago, on Air Canada and before we could deplane the flight attendants took hold of aerosol cans of an anti-bacterial substance(?)and sprayed over our heads while walking down the aisle.
Western progress is good for some things eh...Lynnie

Anonymous said...

Now that I think about it more, I must have been returning from an island to Canada when this happened.
L

/rach said...

That happened to me as I was getting my hair cut in a shop where the door was open. The stuff filled the room in such a way that I couldn't see my relfection in the mirror anymore. My hairdresser smiled as he fruitlessly waved his hand in front of my face to...clear the air, I guess.