A Canadian writer teaches English and finds out what it's like to be a foreigner.

Friday, August 31, 2007

Four Cloudy Days in the Land of the Rising Sun

I'm at Narita airport on a coin-operated Internet kiosk, with a pocket full of 100 yen coins from a purchase of Mentos (I forewent the Pocky, Black-Black or trusty Crunky) on a 1000 yen bill.

The Mentos are also in the pocket.

Don't worry they aren't touching.

Tokyo was intense. I can't imagine living in a city that size and functioning as a well-adjusted human being. That said, wandering around the Imperial Gardens or deep green Meiji-jingu in the light summer rain made it hard to fathom that I could be in the middle of the biggest metropolis on the planet without a soul in sight.

More tomorrow after I've recovered.

My feet hurt.

2 comments:

Jon Allen said...

Trust me Sam, Living here (Tokyo) is so much better than Seoul it's hard to know where to start !

(And I've only been here a week)

Sam said...

I totally believe you. I'm just not really a metropolis sort.