A Canadian writer teaches English and finds out what it's like to be a foreigner.

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Gyeongbokgung

Today was a hot, hot Saturday of touristy fun with Shane in Seoul.

We started off with a lunch of galbi (marinated beef) and dwenjang jigae (soybean paste soup) at my favorite out of the way restaurant at Insadong:


The spread.


Me psyching myself up for the feast. Our table was in a little nook of the restaurant with ceilings so low we had to seriously crouch to get there.

The next stop was Gyeongbokgung— main royal palace of the Joseon Dynasty.


Mount Bugaksan in the background.


The palace guard.


Sajeongjeon, where the King received officials and such.



A grand, off limits staircase to the heavens.


Shane, ever industrious, is seen here in a small underground thatched-roof hut he constructed to escape the sun. Doesn't he just look so pleased with himself?


There were swarms of dragonflies all throughout the palace complex, but near these statues in particular there were dozens upon dozens. I tried to get a picture but they wouldn't stay still despite my giving them all the change I had on me. I didn't press the point to avoid having my lips sewn shut.


Lonely.


Content.


Thirsty?


C'est tout. After this my camera got heat stroke and went on a manic, unstoppable slide-show until the battery wore itself out.

3 comments:

Shane Patenaude said...

My thatched-roof hut building skills are second to none. It's the only way I've protected my delicate skin from the sun all these years.

Also, your pictures of those stone statues make them look even cooler than seeing them in person.

Eva Karrin McKinnon said...

Mmm, that food looks so yummy. I added your link to my blog, hope that's okay. I'll e-mail you soon.

Justin said...

My palace beats your palace