A Canadian writer teaches English and finds out what it's like to be a foreigner.

Monday, September 03, 2007

Tokyo photos

The crappy weather in Tokyo during my visit had me taking a lot less pictures than I wanted to, but here are a few of the better ones.


Shibuya, as seen from Hachiko Plaza.


Same deal, but at night.


Shibuya crossing, reputedly one of the busiest pedestrian scrambles in the world. The Starbucks on the second floor of the building on the left is also supposed to be one of the world's busiest. I got an iced coffee there at 2:00 p.m. and the place was still packed to the gills when I passed again at 9:00.


I can only imagine what goes on in this establishment...


Lanterns on a gate leading to Senso-ji in Asakusa.


The main temple at Senso-ji. I love how the lighting turned out in this shot.


The main gate leading into the temple.


Senso-ji's famous five-storey pagoda. Spectacular at night.


Tori gate at Meiji-jingu, the largest Shinto Shrine in Tokyo. Deep green and blissfully still amid 35 million souls.


One of the main guard houses of the Imperial Palace, seen from the outside.


A guard keeping the riffraff at bay since, unlike the palaces of Seoul, this one still plays home to a functioning Imperial family.


A closer look from the inside.


"Maman" a statue of a giant spider at the ritzy Roppongi Hills development.


Popular canned coffee godhead who seems to be channeling a stern, Japanese Bob Dobbs.

More photos and stories to come.

1 comment:

Jon Allen said...

Hey, Shibuya. I go past there every morning on my way to work. Luckily I don't have to cross the road. Just change trains.
It is an awesome sight.
I'd love to see a time lapse movie of the place.